Monday, January 31, 2011

Burns Night & Med Hat Tigers....

Friday 28 January - Chris and I attended the annual Burn's Night held in the Offr's Mess. The mess had been decorated in a Scottish theme with coates of arms adorning the walls all of which had been covered in material, tartan runners were laid down all the tables, a false fireplace had been erected with antlers each side and a picture of the Queen and Rabbie Burn's.

The team of organisers had worked extremely hard and transformed the mess. On entering the mess a 'young Rabbie Burns' was working hard on his poetry, although his poems were a little flaky! Robert Burns was born 25 January 1759 - 21 July 1796, he was also known as Rabbie Burns, Scotland's favourite son. We were all piped into dinner where we enjoyed a traditional dinner of haggis with tatties & neeps - lovely.

The dinner commenced with the address to the haggis and the immortal memory- all in Scottish obviously, some of which went totally over my head (a foreign language to most of us). Throughout the dinner several people stood up either reciting a poem or addressing the laddies & lassies. Also members of the Medicine Hat Scottish Country Dancers kindly came and danced for us all, all very entertaining. Eventually the dinner finished and it was time to take to the dance floor for some reeling. Chris, as always at Burns Night, declined from reeling so I found myself a partner and managed to do a few dances, not particularly well but great fun. We got home at 2.45am after a fantastic night. It is still very strange, but lovely, going out in DJ and posh frocks with your snow boots on and snow falling as you drive home.

Unfortunately the remainder of the weekend I was ill and stayed in bed, hence Chris was in charge and took Tegan and Fraser on Sunday to Ralston Arena to meet the Medicine Hat Tigers - much to Fraser's excitement. Although when it came to skating with guys from the team Fraser suddenly became shy.







My Heart's In the Highlands - Robert Burns

Farewell to the highlands, farewell to the North
The birth place of Valour, the country of Worth;
Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love.

My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here,
My heart's in the Highlands, a-chasing the deer;
Chasing the wild-deer, and following the roe,
My heart's in the Highlands, wherever I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment