Wednesday, August 12, 2009

New York, New York ...

Tuesday 4th August Chris dropped me off at Calgary airport to start my journey to see Harriet in New York - very excited. The plan was for me to catch a flight from Calgary to Toronto then a connecting flight onto Westchester NY. Unfortunately there was a storm at Toronto with a tornado warning so we managed to land and then spent 31/2 hours on the tarmac waiting for a bay to pull into. So at 9pm I disembarked from my original flight missing my connecting flight which left at 8pm for Westchester. Thereafter the story is a very long one and slightly emotional but just to say that I finally sorted out a new flight to Westchester for the following morning departing at 6.55am - this was all resolved at 1am that morning. I then went to find myself a quiet spot to try and sleep in the airport - not great.





So the sun came up, my flight left on time and before I knew it Harriet was at the airport in her giant of a car picking me up, along with Paddy in the back. We drove straight to Harriet's house - again another giant thing - something about living in NY or actually Rye, Westchester which is a lovely place to live, very green with large opulent houses. I then had a 4 hour sleep and then the fun started. Harriet, the boys and I went to their local mall - heaven, I could have spent a very large sum of money but restrained myself to a new pair of sunglasses, trousers and few bits for Tegan. On the way home Harriet did a 'drive by' tour of Rye - as I said a beautiful place to live. That evening Harriet and I went out to a local oriental restaurant for dinner whilst Guy very kindly babysat and had pasta and meatballs - I on the other hand had Red Snapper - yummy.

The following morning Harriet put me on the train and I was then off for my adventure in New York city. Before I begin I have to say I didn't get lost all day and walked all over the city - I was quite proud of myself as I usually get lost. So I came out of Central Station and caught my first yellow cab - first stop was the Statten Island Ferry and from there I walked to Ground Zero - a very humbling and sad experience. Again stood on the roadside put my arm out and got another yellow cab - so cool - off to the Iron Building on 5th Avenue. I then wandered up 5th Avenue taking in all the sights, sounds and smells. I stopped off at the Empire State Building and queued up to get to the 86th floor, the view from there was amazing, quite breathtaking. The remainder of the day was spent wandering up 5th Avenue looking at the Rockerfella Building, Trump Towers, Tiffany's, Saks and ending up in Central Park - all the time so much to take in. I then met Harriet at 6.30pm and we were off for cocktails. We walked up to Central Park and got a pedal taxi up to a museum that was supposed to have a roof top bar but it was closed - however Harriet and I laughed so much as this poor boy was having to pedal so hard with us both in the back and we had haggled him down on the normal price. We then got a cab to the Hudson Hotel which has an awesome cocktail bar - so hip and cool I couldn't believe I was there. We went for a pitcher of Mojito's and spent several hours people watching and having a great time, we were back in our 20's again all giggly. Then on our way to Time's Square we had a hot dog of a street vendor and then I had to have a New York cheesecake in Times Square. We sat on the static seating stand in Times Square and spent an hour just watching the world go by - so many neon lights amazing. Eventually we got the train home to Rye and had to collect Guy's bike from the station, so we slowly walked home and got into bed just after 12.30am - what a great day and night.

Unfortunately Friday morning came round too quickly and Harriet was taking me back to the airport, this time all my flights were on time and I then met Chris, Tegan and Fraser at Calgary airport ready for the next leg of our holiday - off to Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper and Edmonton, more on this soon.

A very big thank you to Harriet and Guy for their amazing hospitality in New York - hopefully all the Leonard family will be back next time - mojito's on us!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment